The Fondation du Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles bears the name of Cornélius Brotherton, an outstanding figure in post-secondary education in the Gaspé.
Mr. Brotherton was academic dean of studies at the Séminaire de Gaspé in the early 1960s. He then served as associate academic dean at the Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles from 1968 to 1971 and subsequently as academic dean of studies from 1971 to 1982. His professional career was unfortunately brought to a halt by multiple sclerosis.
Before his sudden death in October 1994, Mr. Brotherton had asked the Cégep's board of directors to create a foundation devoted to the education of young people from the Diocese of the Gaspé, as one of his final requests. The Fondation Cornélius-Brotherton received its letters patent in December 1996 and became the official foundation of the Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles in April 2002. Since February 2005, the Foundation has been well-established and has been working to define and vary its sources of funding.
In this regard, as a non-profit organization, the FONDATION CORNÉLIUS-BROTHERTON is a powerful philanthropic lever. Its mission and aims are complementary to those of the Cégep:
- to promote the education of young residents of the Gaspé and the Magdalen Islands who enrol in the Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles in Gaspé, the Magdalen Islands, Carleton and Grande-Rivière;
- to raise young people's awareness to the necessity of pursuing post-secondary studies;
- to encourage access to post-secondary studies for the Cégep's English and French clientele;
- to support the Cégep's educational mission by realizing collective projects;
- to receive and administer donations, bequests and other contributions of this kind, in money, securities or property.
In short, the foundation organizes fund-raising campaigns and raises money to support the Cégep's students in their progress and give them the benefit of additional resources that otherwise would be inaccessible.
References: Mr Cornélius Brotherton's will and corporation statutes.